The Big Picture
SERBIA IN A BLINK
Surrounded by eight different countries and close to the Mediterranean, Serbia is an adventurous, proud and beautiful country. Our vibrant culture is a rich mix of inherited legacies from ancient civilizations, gritty post-modern architecture and a progressive, outward-looking exuberance. The complex history of the Serbian nation has shaped our outspoken and stoic nature, creating strong family bonds with a deep sense of tradition, whilst also fueling innovation and creativity as we look towards the future. Closer than you may think, Serbia is just a 3 hour flight from London and only 1.5 hours from Berlin. There has never been a better time to discover, explore and enjoy one of the most rapidly evolving countries in Europe.
- Cities: Belgrade (1,116,763). Followed by Novi Sad (250,439), Niš (183,164) and Kragujevac (150,835).
- Size: 88,361 km². Serbia is larger than Austria and Ireland and roughly equivalent in size to Portugal.
- Language: The official language is Serbian, a standardized form of Serbo-Croatian, native to 88% of the population. Serbian is the only European language with two active alphabets. Cyrillic is the country’s official alphabet, but the phonetic Latin is widely used.
- Time zone: Central European Time (UTC+1)
- Government: Serbia is a parliamentary republic, with the government divided into legislative, executive and judiciary branches.
- Religion: Majority of people are members of Serbian Orthodox Church (84%). Another 6% belong to the Roman Catholic and the rest are small minorities.
- Flag: Red, blue and white horizontal stripes with a coat of arms.